Monday, April 26, 2010

Fishing Again

Fishing again in Bellville...

On a recent trip to Bellville for our friends', Brandon and Kim, wedding, we took a little time out to, of course, take Darcy fishing. We hoped that she would have a little more interest and ability than last time we took her.

And boy were we right!

We got her a Mickey Mouse rod and reel that she picked out at bass pro and she had a blast! She caught the most fish by far! Of course, all Doug did was bait her hook, throw it out, and set the hook on hers so she could reel it in. He would barely get the hook in the water before she had a bite! We lost count on the perch, and she caught two small bass also!


At first we had to help her a bit...

The first perch of the day! They were eating size, but we didn't feel like cleaning them. So she got to have fun throwing them back too.
She's finally getting the hang of it by herself...
And she reeled in this bass!
Hmm... what's in there?
She got it down fast and then there was no stopping her!



On the other hand, I have no pictures of my fish to show you. I caught a few small bass and perch. And then I hooked the biggest fish I've ever had on a line. We had no idea what it was at first, but Doug assumed it was a catfish. After me yelling at him that I needed help, and couldn't do it for about 3 minutes, he finally realized I wasn't kidding and came over to help me. Mind you, I was fishing with a standard rod (7 ft) that had 10 pound line on it baited with a minnow for bass. We worked the fish up to the bank and realized it was a grass carp! For those of you who don't know, grass carp are vegetarians and do not normally eat minnows. They are also very hard to catch on a rod and reel because they have such small mouths and don't go for the usual lures. This thing was about 30 inches long, and no telling how much it weighed. Doug said they were about 24 inches long when they were put in several years ago. It. Was. Huge. Doug got a net and I was supposed to work it along the bank into the net. He swam the wrong way and the line hooked on a piece of metal sticking up out of the water and as Doug moved around to try to get it in the net, it took off away from the bank, breaking the line!
Doug said afterwards he didn't think we'd get it on the bank since the line was too, too small for a fish like that. But it sure would have made for a great picture! It was a fun battle while it lasted.

Makes me want to go fishing again. But I know the odds of a repeat are slim to none.


Wedding pictures to follow soon!

No comments: