Thursday, January 15, 2009

Book Report

I thought I would take a moment and take a page from my friend, Emily's book, and do a little book report on a recent read. I recently read a book that she has probably read herself, and maybe even done a 'book report' on it. It was:

"Darcy's Story: Pride & Prejudice told from a whole new perspective" by Janet Aylmer.

Let me preface by saying that I read P & P right before reading this book, as I had not read it in a few years, and thought I might need a refresher. Well, I think that was a mistake. While I enjoyed the different viewpoint the story was told from, I found myself skipping over those quotes and conversations that are found in both books, because I had just read them. I did like that the author stuck to Austin's style of writing. And it did fill in some gaps in Darcy's life that you don't see or hear of in the original. But I must say, I was a little disappointed overall. I don't know if I had too high of expectations for this book, or if it just followed too closely to the original that I had just read. I guess I thought that this book would reveal more than it did of the 'rest of the story' so to speak. I think that I will need to move on to the sequels of the original that have been written to get that.

So overall, I think I will give this book a B. But my view may be a little prejudiced...

If anyone can give me some suggestions as to which sequels to P & P are good, I would appreciate it, since that will be my new endeavor. For my next book review, we'll visit another book written in another perspective of the classic "Gone With the Wind." We'll see how it goes.

Until later...

No comments: